Thursday, April 1, 2010

Exams and studying

So my classmates are "studying" for the midterm exam for this class. This verbage annoys me. What they are doing is not studying. Studying is what I did in Japan, working on learning characters and vocabulary 8 to 12 hours every single day in addition to school time. Studying is systematically learning something as a lifestyle, in a way that precludes other activities. I'd be very surprised if anybody in this class has actually studied. Cramming for a few hours is not studying. It's not even reading up. Reading up is reading lots of stuff. Books and whatnot. I checked Wikipedia to make sure I know the normal forms of databases properly--that wasn't "reading up" on database normal forms, it was looking it up, quick and sloppy.

I like hyperbole more than most people, but I just get annoyed when people don't realize they're using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment